Community Relations Specialist
At Douglas Electric Cooperative, Inc. we care deeply about our relationship with our community, both internal and external. We are seeking a Community Relations Specialist to help us maintain and nurture these relationships in our company and beyond. You will be the principal ambassador for the organization, often speaking internally and publicly – delivering the company’s vision within the local community. Your goal is to maintain a positive relationship with everyone both inside and outside the organization.
The Community Relations Specialist will develop strategy and programs, while building and maintaining positive relationships with key community groups, local governments, business leaders, and our members and staff to position Douglas Electric Cooperative as an active, visible, and reliable presence in our local and virtual community. You will support our marketing initiatives and function as a representative of Douglas Electric Cooperative at corporate or public events. This position will be the liaison between our Board of Directors, General Manager, and the Public.
Your role includes implementing community outreach programs, organizing events, releasing publicity material such as press releases and developing public relations strategies that will promote Douglas Electric’s mission. May include writing grant applications and applying for grant opportunities.
Our ideal team member will have excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills, but also the ability to foster positive relationships with both individuals and organizations. Excellent people skills are a must, and you will need to be a team-player to build rapport with various community groups and organizations.
Administrative duties will include support to the Board of Directors and General Manager. As the liaison to the Board of Directors and General Manager, these duties will include board meeting preparation, regular correspondence, and will require organizing travel to different industry events, trainings, and programs for the Board of Directors and General Manager.
- At least two years of work experience in sales, marketing, public relations, or a related field is preferred
- Excellent verbal, organizational, and written communication skills
- Great people skills and ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage sensitive or controversial subjects with tact, kindness, and professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, English, fundraising, journalism, or similar field preferred. On the job experience may be substituted
- Courses in advertising, business administration, public affairs, public speaking, and creative and technical writing can also be helpful
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related writing and presentation software
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Possess a collaborative spirit and exceptional people skills to facilitate communication with internal and external customers in a helpful and positive manner
- Exceptional aptitude for evaluating and guiding creative endeavors
- Ability to track details and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to evaluate and incorporate customer feedback into design work, while maintaining creative cohesiveness
- HTML and web authoring, as well as such corresponding web design and site management software
In addition to offering an industry competitive wage for this position, Douglas Electric Cooperative offers an above average benefit package including:
- 4 – 10 hour days.
- Medical/dental/vision benefits – paid in full for the employer, eligible upon hire
- Paid Time Off – 150 hours upon hire
- 401(k) with a generous employer contribution
- Health Savings Plan
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life
- Spouse & Child Life (optional)
- Long Term Disability
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration.